Enroll a Smart Card for a User with Internet Explorer
- From the enrollment station, connect to the “Smart Card Certificate Enrollment Station” web page of the CA.
This smart card enrollment web page can be found at http://<machine-name>/certsrv/ where the <machine-name> is the machine where you have installed the CA.
- Select Request a certificate.
- Select Advanced certificate request.
- Select Request a certificate for a smart card on behalf of another user by using the smart card certificate enrollment station.
The Smart Card Certificate Enrollment Station window opens.
- Under Enrollment Options:
- From the Certificate Template drop-down list, choose Smartcard User.
- From the Cryptographic Service Provider drop-down list, select Microsoft Base Smart Card Crypto Provider.
- Ensure the correct Enrollment Agent certificate is selected in the Administrator Signing Certificate box.
- Select a User to Enroll by clicking Select User.
- Enter the user name in which you are enrolling a certificate in the Enter the object name to select field.
- Click Check Names to verify the entry, and then click OK.
- Verify the user’s smart card is inserted into the smart card reader.
- Click Enroll to enroll a smart card user certificate for the user.
- Enter the PIN, and then click OK to continue.
After the certificate request has been made, the CA will sign the request and return a certificate. This certificate is automatically placed on the smart card. You might be prompted to confirm the issuance of a certificate.
At the end of the smart card enrollment process, you are informed that the smart card is ready for use.
- You can verify if the certificate contains the correct personal information about the user by clicking View Certificate. You also have the opportunity to enroll a new user by clicking New User.
Enroll a Smart Card for a User with MMC
- Open the management console by typing mmc in the Start > Run menu.
- Add the Certificates snap-in from the File > Add/Remove Snap-in menu.
- Right-click on the Certificates node.
- Go to All Tasks, then Advanced Operations, and then click Enroll on behalf of.
- Click Next.
- Browse to the Enrollment Agent Certificate that you created on the enrollment station.
- Select Smartcard User, and expand the Details view.
- Click Properties.
- Make sure that Microsoft Base Smart Card Crypto Provider is selected as the CSP, and click OK.
- Click Browse to select the user for whom you want to enroll the smart card.
- Enter the user name, and click OK. If necessary, click Check Names to make sure you have selected the correct user.
- When prompted, insert the smart card into the reader.
- If you are prompted to enter the PIN, do so and then click OK to continue.
After the certificate request has been made, the CA will sign the request and return a certificate. This certificate is automatically placed on the smart card.
- Click Finish.